Friday 6 September 2013

♡Human Rights Victories♡

Hi guys! Sorry for being a bit MIA at the moment but I was sick for a while and trying to catch up with my uni work, I'm going to be fairly busy the next couple of weeks because it's that time of year when they pile assignment after assignment onto you but I will try and be as good as I can when it comes to blogging!

Now I know my blog posts are a mixture of the serious and the not so serious so today I thought I would just briefly talk about something that I thought needed to be heard.
I know that fighting for human rights can be tough and sometimes we hear the bad news more than we heard the good, which makes it seem like the bad news is never-ending but I wanted to let you know that there are good things happening out there. There are good things happening every day and I thought I should let you know a few of the great things that have happened recently.

I'm sure a large majority of you have seen the fairly recent reports about the terrible and terrifying deaths of civilians in Syria and Egypt. Also, with the Australian election coming up (for the Australians out there reading this that can vote) like me, you may be feeling uninspired and annoyed about the Australian political parties using asylum seekers as pawns in their game to score points for their party, all at the expenses of those who are trying to come to our country for a better life.
Although sometimes it may feel like we can't do much, we have to remember that, in fact, our actions can and do make a difference. That's why I wanted to share some good news with you guys!
After an overwhelming amount of support a 15-year-old girl, who was raped in the Maldives and who had originally been sentenced 100 lashes for 'fornication', has had her punishment overturned completely! You can read all about it here: http://www.amnesty.org.au/features/comments/32579

The Government has begun to remove asylum seeker families who have children, from the Manus Island Detention Centre. 70 detainees have been relocated from the appalling conditions on Manus Island and are reportedly being relocated to Christmas Island. There is more written here: http://www.amnesty.org.au/news/comments/32106/

An Omani activist, an activist for the Arab state Oman in southwest Asia, who had been held in solitary confinement for 23 days has been released without charge after supporters wrote letters to the authorities calling for his safety and freedom. You can read more here: http://www.amnesty.org.au/features/comments/32643

Unfortunately, human rights victories like these don't always make headlines but they do happen, we are able to make a change and help those who aren't as fortunate as we are.
Amazing accomplishments like these are happening every day all over the world.

If you want to help make a difference please check out Amnesty International who are one of the many amazing organisations who are helping to make these much needed changes!

PS. For those Australians voting tomorrow please don't waste your vote! Our ancestors fought long and hard so that we could have this opportunity and many people over the world don't get this chance, so please don't take advantage of the chance to have your voice heard. Please please please make sure you make an informed decision. If  a party isn't telling you its policies or plans now, don't vote for them!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and leave a comment! I read all comments and when I do it leaves a smile on my face ♡ If you've asked a question I will definitely answer it so check back to read my response :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...